August 27, 2014

Friendship, redefined

Several weeks ago, we went to a friend's birthday. I was really looking forward to it - Friday night, summer, drinks - why not?! Except I was ready to go home within 10 minutes. After exchanging the standard pleasantries of 'Hey, how are you? What's new?' I quickly discovered that absolutely nothing was new.

Clearly there's a reason I call this group of friends "Mike's friends". I met them around the same time I met Mike - in fact we both did - through our old work softball league. If I hadn't stayed with Mike, I wouldn't have stayed friends with these folks. Simply because we have nothing in common except for what bonded us at first - our jobs.

Mike still gets together with them but I generally skip out on anything that isn't a birthday or some kind of 'special occasion'. I think I talk enough about being time-starved - I really have zero time to waste on friendships that are not fulfilling. 

They're nice people, don't get me wrong. But I shouldn't be struggling to make conversation 10 minutes in, right? And then sometimes there are IRL friends are ultra annoying and you just want to kick them. See this post & this one.

I do have truly good friends - ones that are like family & I will know forever - but we're not all in one tight group so it's hard to see everyone often. But when we do spend time together, it's fabulous! The kinds of friends that you can be apart from for weeks, months or longer and yet you don't miss a beat when you reunite. Those friendships are magical.

And then there are blog friends. Bloggers will understand, the rest likely will not but I think that it makes perfect sense. These are the people who the only reason you even know of their existence, even if it's halfway across the country or world, is that because when you came across their blog, at least one of their blog posts truly spoke to you. 

Then make that every post. Which is followed by regular tweeting, then texting and then, if you're very lucky enough to live in even the same time zone as that person, you get to meet face to face. Yes, it is exactly like dating. And yes, first meetings are very much like first dates. LOL

I have been lucky enough to meet two of my favourite ladies!

Bree I've known the longest - just over 2 years now - because we live in the same city. We probably don't see each other as much as we'd I'd like to - you know, life gets in the way - but when we do, there's always more than enough to talk about & catch up on. She's usually the one I consult with when events are going on around town, the first person I advise of upcoming store closures with potential for massive sales & the usual it's-too-cold-no-it's-too-hot banter.

Jennie I just got to meet last month & she's even more wonderful than she let on! We unsuccessfully met up for coffee because I got lost in the rain torrential downpour, which naturally resulted in splitting a half-price bottle of wine & we had ourselves a ball! Believe me, this would probably be a regular thing if she lived closer... *hint hint* Plus, there's not a single nail challenge that Jennie hasn't accepted and outdone herself in - I'm running out of ways to stump her, seriously :P 

I'm super glad that I've been able to turn these bloggy friends into IRL friends b/c they totally fit what I expect from real friends - a connection. No pressure ladies! LOL

Rarely am I as happy about my blog as when I think about all of the amazing people it has given me the opportunity to collide with, IRL or not. Friendships & bonds that would not have been possible if it wasn't for this little cyber spot of mine. Yeah, I'm cheesin'.

Thanks to everyone I've met thus far and looking forward to those peeps I don't even know yet!

{via}

 photo blogsignature3-25-13_zps17b9422f.jpg

1 comment :

  1. Well isn't this nice! :) We should probably get together and try to get to a patio before the little bit of summer escapes us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!