March 11, 2014

Susie Homemaker

Besides going out downtown twice this weekend, I still managed to be a whirlwind in the kitchen on Sunday. I secretly took my time because honestly, I love spending time in my new kitchen & just can't get enough of it!

So what did I make?
Japanese Mushroom & Onion Soup [Crockpot]
Coconut Almond Granola
Potato Corn Chowder
Apple Spice Bundt Cake
Lucky for you, I'm going to give you the recipes because I'm nice like that! But in my half recipe, half made-up-on-the-spot kind of way...
----------------------

Crockpot Japanese Onion Soup (the official name)

* The only thing I did 'differently' is boiling ramen noodles on the side and adding them to our servings of soup. Yum!


Coconut Granola (the official name)

* I wanted more granola (and to use up more of the quick oats I had) so I doubled that and therefore increased the remaining ingredients.
* I found this to be too sweet even though I omitted the sugar. I think was due to the sweetened shredded coconut so I would recommend using unsweetened.
* I use pure, unrefined coconut oil which has more flavour.
* I skipped the pumpkin seeds & coconut extract as I didn't pick any up.


Potato Corn Chowder (my recipe)

You'll need: potatoes / carrots / onions / corn / water / salt & pepper
(quantities depend on your taste & how much soup you want to make)

* I boiled the diced potatoes and added the already boiled carrots and onions (as well as celery in this case) near the end.
* I boiled the frozen corn separately and also added to the rest of the ingredients.
* I reserved the water/vegetable broth and slightly mashed the veggies.
* I separated some veggies that I wanted to keep more whole & used an immersion blender for the remaining.
* I added back the vegetable chunks and slowly stirred in the broth. Add as much as you want to thin the soup.
* I also used a little bit of milk to make it creamier (optional). Season to taste!


Apple Spice Bundt Cake (my recipe)

You'll need: 2 eggs / 240 mL sugar / 80 mL oil / 2 cups shredded apples / 320mL flour /  1/2 tsp baking soda / 2 tsp cinnamon / walnuts (optional/to taste)

* Preheat oven to 400F. Grease bundt pan and toss with flour.
* Whip the eggs with the sugar.
* Add oil and shredded apples.
* Slowly add flour to mixture.
* Add baking soda, cinnamon and walnuts.
* Pour batter into pan and bake for ~30 minutes.

----------------------

Let me know if you have questions on my vague creative directions. Happy kitchen times :)

 photo blogsignature3-25-13_zps17b9422f.jpg

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!