January 17, 2014

Book Club - Half Broke Horses

It's time for Book Club with Heather & Katie!


This week I'm reviewing:
Lily Casey Smith, this novel's feisty Texas protagonist, is a frontier teacher, a rancher, a rodeo rider, a poker player, and bootlegger. In Half Broke Horses, she survives droughts, tornados, floods, poverty, and whatever else fate can throw against her. Based on author Jeannette Walls's grandmother, Lily is a plausible character because she has a voice that synchronizes with her history. This novel lives up to the still gathering acclaim for Walls's novel The Glass Castle.

Thoughts
Not surprisingly, Jeannette Walls has written another fantastic novel. I was really excited to read the "pre" to The Glass Castle, which I loved. The storytelling is incredible and completely sucks you in. As you near the end of this book, it definitely feels like you're getting closer to the beginning of Glass Castle and I felt myself getting angry all over again. Don't get me wrong, I loved Glass Castle but I spent the majority of the time angry LOL You should totally read both and it doesn't really matter in which order you do so.

 photo blogsignature3-25-13_zps17b9422f.jpg

3 comments :

  1. My Grandmother keeps telling me I need to read this and her other book. They sound really good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!