October 8, 2013

The Rock

While we did visit the incredible Alcatraz Island - aka The Rock - in San Francisco a few weeks ago, that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about that other little thing that happened during our Cali vacation - our engagement :)

It happened in the middle of the trip; the evening after we left San Francisco and had spent the day driving down the Pacific Coast.

The story is quite humourous, when I look back at it. A little less so at the time since we bickered quite a lot that day. Small stupid things.

I was cold so wanted the top of the convertible up.
He wanted to take a break & have me drive even though I was nervous about it.
I wanted him to slow down because those windy rounds should not be 55MPH!
Where should we stop to eat?
How far should we drive before we stop for the night?

Finally he started freaking out about missing the sunset. I couldn't understand why he had his panties in a knot over something we had never even talked about doing. Sure sunsets are great, but we were going to see five more of them, no big deal. Apparently, it was very much a big deal.

Right as the sun was dipping below the horizon & into the ocean, dC pulls over at a small vista. At this point, I'm getting really nervous about us being stuck on this windy, cliff road in the dark.

dC: "OK let's take pictures here."
dK: "I've taken lots of pictures, I'm going to stay in the car."
dC: "C'mon, just get out. Last stop."
dK: "Seriously, I'm cold and tired and have taken more than enough pictures. You can do what you want but I'll wait in the car.
dC: "Just get out of the car!!!"
dK: "FINE!"

We took a couple of pictures and then he started saying really nice things, which almost annoyed me even more because he'd already spent most of the day being snippy with me.

Then he started going down on one knee and I more or less blanked out out of pure shock & surprise.

Some of the first things I remember saying were:
"OMG what are you doing?!?!"
"Are you seriously right now?!?!"

Only after that did the 'yes' come :)

First picture post-engagement :)

 photo blogsignature3-25-13_zps17b9422f.jpg

3 comments :

  1. Awww that's so cute! And gorgeous ring! Congrats girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love your story! I love how honest you are and didn't sugarcoat it. This is how life goes. It's annoying sometimes, but also really perfect. Great job, dC! Congratulations you two! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!