September 6, 2013

Book Club - 9.06

It's time for Book Club with Heather & Katie!



This week I'm reviewing:
When Barry Fairbrother dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.


Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils ... Pagford is not what it first seems.


And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?


Thoughts
I was really excited to finally get to read this book as it's been in my queue pretty much since it came out. I L.O.V.E. Harry Potter, so was more than a little bit curious as to what J.K. Rowling had up her sleeve. I was most certainly not disappointed.

I will admit, it was quite difficult to get into the book - it started off a bit slow and there are so many characters to keep track of! But once it picked up & I was able to keep everyone straight, it was a very good read. The development of the characters and story from beginning to end was really well done & I simply loved the ending.

I have yet to talk to anyone who's read it but I definitely recommend it - and not just because I want to have someone to talk to about it!

goodreads members also rated it:

 photo blogsignature3-25-13_zps17b9422f.jpg

6 comments :

  1. I haven't read this one and quite frankly I don't like the cover but I'm glad you enjoyed it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been in my queue forever, too - I'll have to get around to it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made it to page 68 and gave up. I was so confused and nothing really happened. Maybe I should have kept going...*eyes bookshelf* Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for stopping by my blog!

    i love that we had similar starts but different overall feelings towards this book :) i can't wait to read her other novel though,i hear it is better!

    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard from so many people that it's not worth picking up. I can't plow through books that are boring in the beginning, so I'm not sure that I could make it far enough to start enjoying it :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got my copy back from my dad last weekend so I need to squeeze it back into my reading schedule and finish it. I left off on page 110.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!