July 19, 2013

Book Club - 7.19

It's time for Book Club with Heather!


This week I'm reviewing:


This is the story of how a haughty former sorority girl went from having a household income of almost a quarter-million dollars to being evicted from a ghetto apartment... It's a modern Greek tragedy, as defined by Roger Dunkle in The Classical Origins of Western Culture: a story in which "the central character, called a tragic protagonist or hero, suffers some serious misfortune which is not accidental and therefore meaningless, but is significant in that the misfortune is logically connected."

In other words? The bitch had it coming.



Thoughts:
This book was really great and I think part of it is because it was all true, more or less. I believe Lancaster made small changes to the facts but it's all based on her life. Truly hilarious. But also a bit scary how things transpired. Really makes you think about what you have in your life.
I may or may not also have seen a bit of me in Jen and her relationship with her boyfriend-then-husband. Overly-dramatic, competitive to a fault, know-it-all (at work & outside of) with a great guy who somehow tolerates it all...or brushes it off, whatever the case may be.
I can't wait to read some of her books, hopefully they're just as great!

 photo blogsignature3-25-13_zps17b9422f.jpg

6 comments :

  1. I'm so glad you liked the book! I've read her second and third and they're both hilarious as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one! I mean, if nothing else, the title is freaking amazing, but the writing was good and the story was very funny at times. I had to keep reminding myself that it was based on truth, too, because it totally seemed more like fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard such good things about her books, but haven't read any still!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading Jen Lancaster books! I haven't read them all (I think I'm 2 or 3 behind), but can't to read her newest. It's all about how she tries to be like Martha Stewart, and think it sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Jen Lancaster as well - and her other books aren't quite as good as the original, but they are all good reads. I live in Chicago so I especially like her books as I know the places she's talking about - I always hope to bump into her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have SO many of her books on my TBR list. I've heard so many things about her being so incredibly hilarious ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!