June 28, 2013

Book Club - 6.28

It's time for Book Club with Heather!


This week I'm reviewing:

A summer's evening in Amsterdam and two couples meet at a fashionable restaurant. Between mouthfuls of food and over the polite scrapings of cutlery, the conversation remains a gentle hum of polite discourse - the banality of work, the triviality of holidays. But behind the empty words, terrible things need to be said, and with every forced smile and every new course, the knives are being sharpened.
Each couple has a fifteen year old son. The two boys are united by their accountability for a single horrific act; an act that has triggered a police investigation and shattered the comfortable insulated worlds of their families. As the dinner reaches its culinary climax, the conversation finally touches on their children, and as civility and friendship disintegrates, each couple show just how far they are prepared to go to protect those they love.
{via}

Thoughts:
As usual, I had no idea what the premise of the book was before I started reading it. I later heard about comparisons to Gone Girl and I can see where people are coming from but I think that a twisted plot is really their own similarity. I enjoyed the mystery but I found it a bit anti-climactic. How does an author write a book that takes place all during one dinner? With a lot of boring, dry, mostly-irrelevant fluff in the middle. Seriously bored. But I got through it. But I really enjoyed the European style of writing overall (which you can definitely pick up on if you've read translated novels before) and that's a large part of why I'd recommend it!


 photo blogsignature3-25-13_zps17b9422f.jpg

3 comments :

  1. Yeah, it would be really challenging to write an all-in-one-night scene kind of book. The premise is interesting, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked that it was all in one night, but all the side stories and history took me away from finding out what was happening! That bugged me. I didn't really think it was anything like Gone Girl either, but I did like this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really really dark, and I kinda hated gone girl lol. I might just Wiki this one ;)

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!