May 3, 2013

Book Club! - 5.03

It's time for Book Club with Heather!


This week I'm reviewing:

Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.


Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.


Thoughts
This book was fantastic. I didn't even read what it was about before I started so everything about it was unexpected. And lovely. I love Charlie's character - the innocent young boy who still manages to be charming in his own way. The first person journal entries really add character to the story. The book was just so good at describing what high school was, and unfortunately, no longer is. Kids growing up and trying to find themselves, making mistakes, being kids without having to deal with the craziness that social media and internet bullying. It was just a really great read & I highly recommend it.

I obviously downloaded and watched the movie after, you know me! It was also quite well done; better than most adaptations I've watched lately. A few parts that were interesting were missing, but none that took away from the overall story. The actors were also quite well picked out. I highly recommend the movie as well!

 photo blogsignature3-25-13_zps17b9422f.jpg

3 comments :

  1. I legit need to read this!! I'm going to reserve it at my library RIGHT NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED the book and was so surprised that I also loved the movie. Logan Lerman was the perfect Charlie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to read this in March, but didn't get to it. I've heard the book is just incredible and the move was great too :) So I really want to read it asap!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!