March 22, 2013

Book Club Friday - 3.22

It's time for Book Club with Heather!


This week I'm reviewing:
{via}
Pat Peoples has a theory that his life is actually a movie produced by God, and that his God-given mission in life is to become emotionally literate, whereupon God will ensure a happy ending – which, for Pat, means the return of his estranged wife Nikki, from whom he's currently having some 'apart time.' It might not come as any surprise to learn that Pat has spent several years in a mental health facility. When Pat leaves hospital and goes to live with his parents, however, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends now have families; his beloved football team keep losing; his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy. And he's being haunted by Kenny G. There is a silver lining, however, in the form of tragically widowed, physically fit and clinically depressed Tiffany, who offers to act as a go-between for Pat and his wife, if Pat will just agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition...

Thoughts

Amazing. That's probably one of the most overused words to describe this book but it must be said. The storyline was so unique, not to mention believable, and sucks you right in. Despite the seriousness of the subject, the book is surprisingly light because the author does such a great job telling it from Pat's [slightly delusional] point of view. Just read this book. Go right now.

Movie-wise, I held out until I had finished reading the book and [as usual] I'm glad that I did. I don't want to say  it was disappointing but I was nowhere near as excited after watching the movie as I was before. I get it  - they're never the same. But this way too different and just took away from some of the story. Like the song choice  - c'mon, that was the epitomy of what they were going through! So yeah; watch it for the excellent acting but not for the story.

7 comments :

  1. I just bought this book last week, I am glad to hear that it is worth reading!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to see this movie, but I think I'll read the book first. The books are usually better anyways!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I really need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the movie and really enjoyed it. But till recently had no idea it was a book as well. Considering how I felt about the movie, definitely think I'd enjoy the book as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was disappointed by the movie too :/ I may give the book a chance

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the movie, but still want to read it. I've heard such mixed reviews from people who read first and then watched. I usually don't like the movie better either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched the movie first and now I'm thinking I just need to do that every single time because I criticize too harshly. Some warrant it [i.e. Beautiful Creatures], but this one...I loved both the movie and the book wholeheartedly. I thought they were both incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!