November 2, 2011

Halloween Weekend - The Food!

As promised, I'm doing a post about the food I made this past Halloween weekend! Go here to read about the fun!

Saturday I started with my mom's delicious Cheesy Muffins because even though they're not exactly festive, they are delicious and keep really well for a couple of days. I definitely anticipated needing to have breakfast on hand the next morning.

They're really easy to make - no kneading of the dough - and have both feta & regular cheese. PLEASE feel free to let me know if you want this recipe & I'll translate it from my mommy's version :)

Next up was what I was most excited about - Pumpkin Cupcakes with Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting!

Just from the title you can tell that they were dee-li-cious! I made my own butternut squash puree for this recipe because I like cooking from scratch and I prefer working with the butternut squash over a pumpkin. I really wouldn't change anything about this recipe, I liked it just the way it was.

Then on Sunday for dinner I made Pasta with Butternut Squash and Spinach. I really wanted a butternut squash/pasta recipe and after searching all over for one I settled on this one. I had never really made anything with spinach before (crazy, I know) so this was going to be a double experiment. Well it totally paid off!


I also added some sausage because I like to have some meet with pasta but I think bacon would also work too. As much as I love chicken, I didn't think it would fit in as well with the rest of the ingredients. Another recipe I definitely recommend!


Finally for my roasted pumpkin seeds I made two varieties - a sweet and salty.
-The salty version included salt, black pepper, red pepper (the spice).
-The sweet included brown sugar & pumpkin spice. You can just use cinnamon if you don't have pumpkin spice. 

Both were tossed with their ingredients and baked at 350°F for just under 15 minutes. Honestly, I burnt the sweet ones and almost burnt the salty ones so I definitely recommend turning the oven down to 325° and checking on them frequently.


Feel free to ask any questions & let me know if you'd like the Cheesy Muffin recipe! I also definitely recommend checking out Gina's Skinny Recipes where I got the cupcake recipe from!


Happy Baking :)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!