October 14, 2011

Book Club Friday


After reading the long & dramatic trilogy by Steig Larsson (check out my last 3 book reviews), I decided to go light with my next read. This week I'm reviewing:

Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang - Chelsea Handler
via
"Life doesn't get more hilarious than when Chelsea Handler takes aim with her irreverent wit. Who else would send all-staff emails to smoke out the dumbest people on her show? Now, in this new collection of original essays, the #1 bestselling author of Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea delivers one laugh-out-loud moment after another as she sets her sights on the ridiculous side of childhood, adulthood, and daughterhood.
Family moments are fair game, whether it's writing a report on Reaganomics to earn a Cabbage Patch doll, or teaching her father social graces by ordering him to stay indoors. It's open season on her love life, from playing a prank on her boyfriend (using a ravioli, a fake autopsy, and the Santa Monica pier) to adopting a dog so she can snuggle with someone who doesn't talk. And everyone better duck for cover when her beach vacation turns into matchmaking gone wild. Outrageously funny and deliciously wicked, CHELSEA CHELSEA BANG BANG is good good good good!"

Have you read any other Chelsea Handler books? This was much of the same but with a twist - she was now writing as a celebrity. I wasn't a big fan of her second book (Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea) but this was a definite redemption. The following are a couple favourites:

While [jokingly] discussing the euthanizing of their father with her siblings:
"The next e-mail we recieved was from my older sister, Sidney. 'As an attorney, I am advising you all to cease and desist any and all discussion of the euthanization of our father via e-mail. I am available by phone at your earliest convenience.'"

This following is not only due to my dislike for Rihanna, but also because it's just plain insensitively funny:
"[...] my friend Stephanie suggested that it would be a good idea to have me fake a black eye. With Eva & Stephanie's help, I was able to make one side of my face look like Rihanna's, and then I headed down in the bright sunlight with a hat and sunglasses, like any respectful abused woman."

Conclusion: Read if you have a sense of humour

3 comments :

  1. I freaking LOVE Chelsea Handler. She's so funny. Funny and conniving. An excellent combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her!! I still haven't read any of her books. I need to change this stat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her second book was a bit slow, but I really did like this one. Her most recent book is the best though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!