January 2, 2011

2011, Here I Come!

New Year's resolutions...what can I say, I've never really made any. I think it's my dislike of the word "resolution", it's just too strong. 'To resolve oneself to something' gives the sense of epic proportions of commitment and obligations. And these happen to be two of the things I hate most.

However, I'm all for setting goals. I'm known to make lists for things I want to get done for the day, the week, etc, so it makes sense to think more long-term. Like a 365-day term.

But let's not call them resolutions - icky - I may be more inclined to use one of the following terms:

  • accomplishments (kind of assumes you're already done)
  • aspirations (feels inspirational but pretty corny)
  • aim (somewhat violent & gun-oriented)
  • targets (sounds like I'm trying to hit sales $, I get enough of that at work; also kind of violent)
  • objectives (too professional)
  • missions (I feel like Tom Cruise)
Ok so the English language may be lacking in that one term that has a je ne sais quoi so I'll stick to goals.

In 2011, there are several goals that I would like to successfully complete for the sole purpose of making myself happy & proud of *me*. I'm like a mom...to myself hahaha The ultimate success of these goals will likely result in warm & fuzzy feelings (you know i love those) and too many gifts to myself at Christmas time.

ANYWAY, here they are in no particular order:
  1. READ MORE! I've actually seen this on several people's lists & it's a good one. Too many technological distractions have caused me to lose precious free time which I would have normally spent curled up with a book. Since I plan on becoming a hermit this winter season, I think there will be plenty of time for me to rekindle that love. Step 1 - go to library this week & get a card. Step 2 - Reading suggestions please! :)
  2. I really need to exercise. Losing weight is one thing, I prefer not to focus on this, but I am just so out of shape & lacking in stamina. If I had to run for my life, I would really not bother with the running part. The funny thing is, this goal is really easy - all I need to do is pull the eliptical that I already own out of the closet where it's been sitting ever since I moved! Starting with 15 minutes each morning, I'll work my way up :)
  3. Hand in hand with that, and also on a lot of people's lists, is to be healthier. Which also should theoretically not be too difficult. I just love the shit out of chocolate & sweets. Like, we-should-get-married love. I don't eat out too often and I always bring my own lunch to work because I'm budget conscientious, but my portions are way out of whack. Probably due to the fact that I eat with my eyes, not my stomach.
  4. THIS IS SO DELICIOUS! I want three servings. And I will eat them all until I am full. Or die. Whichever comes first.
  5. I rarely admit this, but I need to be more aware of my level of anger about random things & not sweat the small stuff. In all honesty, it's a little bit baffling that I haven't had an ulcer *knock on wood*. I really need to get some life stuff figured out & let go of some baggage in order to enjoy life more. And quit regretting things!
Here's to doing my best to accomplish these 4 simple goals in 2011! *cheers*

2 comments :

  1. You need to read I Don't Care About Your Band by Julie Klausner. It's all about all the losers she's dated and what she's learned from them. She is hilarious and completely blunt about her sexcapades. I couldn't put it down and I think you'll love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally with you on 2, 3, and 4. I am determined to lose the rest of the 15 pounds I gained my last year of college. I really need to get on a regular meal schedule. Sometimes I skip breakfast or lunch then end up inhaling junk food or pretty much whatever is in front of me. I'm also vowing to keep it classier this year in bars and other establishments where I end up consuming too much booze. And to avoid douchebags.

    To answer your question on my last post, my job isn't in my hometown but is a 35 minute commute so I still will prob be living at home for about a year to save money (rent is pretty pricey here). When I finally do move it will be a nightmare. Half my stuff from college is still in boxes scattered throughout the garage and random closets. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love reading & responding to all your comments!